For more than 30 years, BTB attorneys have provided legal representation to public school and community college employees in a wide variety of employment-related matters. Acknowledged as one of the leaders in the field of education law, much of our work is on behalf of members of the California Teachers Association through CTA’s Group Legal Services program.
The following list is a sampling of the types of matters for which we provide legal assistance to individual public school employees:
- Layoff, terminations, and disciplinary actions.
- Negotiating resignation, retirement, and severance agreements.
- Violations of the Education Code, including misclassification and other issues related to permanent and probationary status; denial of sick leave, deviation from the uniform salary schedule, etc.
- Violations of state and federal law prohibiting discrimination, harassment, hostile work environment, denial of reasonable accommodation for disability, denial of Family Medical Leave, chemical and mold exposure, etc.
- Advice on legal issues related to retirement for members of STRS and PERS.
- Unfair practice charges against any public school employer that retaliates against en employee for engaging in protected union activity.
- Credential review by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
- Civil restraining orders that are job-related.
- Workplace relations with administrators, colleagues, parents, and students.
In addition to representing individual employees, we also advise local affiliate chapters of CTA on such issues as: contract interpretation and implementation, applicable laws, and school board policies. On request, we conduct training sessions for chapters and their members. And, on occasion, we represent local affiliates in arbitrations and civil actions.
While we are committed to serving public school employees, we also represent employees of private schools, colleges, and universities in employment-related matters.